Justin Lawson is a registered Adventure Guide (Tourist Guide Registration number: WC 7055). He holds a First Aid Certification and is fully insured for operating as a climbing/abseil guide.
Justin has been climbing for 33 years. He was first introduced to climbing by a friend from Scouts when he was 11 years old. (His mom will tell you he started at age 3).
After high school, whilst completing his studies in Information Technology, he worked as a climbing guide/instructor and river guide. In 1996, Justin qualified as SARA Level 1 river guide. In 1997, Justin completed his Level 3 first Aid Certification. And in 1999, Justin was one of the first people in South Africa to qualify as a Single Pitch Supervisor (MDT).
Some of Justin’s notable achievements
- He has been a proud member of the Mountain Club of South Africa since 1997.
- He has climbed at many destinations around South Africa, the USA, the UK, Austria, Italy and Thailand.
- He is respected gear reviewer for local and international climbing brands such as Petzl, First Ascent, and Cape Union Mart.
- He has worked as stuntman, rigger for movies, television & print commercials.
- He is a published climbing photographer.
- He has experience in all aspects of climbing – trad, sport boulder, multi pitch, big walls.
- He has acted as an advisor on the Montagu Mountain Reserve Committee.
- He has played a significant role in the development (bolting) of new climbing areas in Montagu such as the Bold & Beautiful crag as well as the upkeep of existing routes.